Monday, August 24, 2009

Sleep Deprived...







Since we brought the twins home in July, people have asked us a lot, "Is it hard taking care of two babies at once?" I have to admit that it is easier than we expected, but we definitely are not getting enough sleep! The first week they were home we alternated night-time feedings--Ryan would get up for one feeding and I would get up for the next. However, that didn't work out very well, as they were hungry just about every hour and we never got any consecutive hours of sleep! Our friends with twins down in Iowa recommended a sleep schedule and it has worked out much better for us: I take the 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. feeding shift and Ryan takes the 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. shift. This way, we each are guaranteed some sleep and if we get to sleep during our shift, it's an added bonus.

Since I've been home taking care of the twins by myself during the day, things have gone pretty smoothly. I had one bad day during my first week alone where everything seemed to go wrong. That afternoon, Audrey had a major blowout in her diaper that resulted in pooh everywhere--all over the couch, all over me, and even somehow in her hair (don't ask). Sydney had also gotten into a bottle of lotion that resulted in her puking and Isaac had some sort of a stomach bug and was projectile vomiting after every feeding. That was a BAD afternoon, and it was the first time I broke down in tears. Needless to say, things are going much more smoothly now. Sydney still adds trouble and Audrey still has impeccable timing and volume when it comes to filling her diapers (major incident at Target this afternoon!), but luckily crises seem to occur one at a time. And while Ryan and I walk around like zombies, the twins are getting plenty of beauty sleep. See these pics...